United Methodist Women
March 14th, 2017 - Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order at about 9:35 am by Mere Ponijiasi with updates on our shut-ins and others. We all read the Purpose of UMW and Peg gave a devotion.
Members present: Mere Ponijiasi, Diane Jackson, Barbara Wofford, Jane Hollar, Judy Finley, Peg Ferrel, Nancy Messinger, Lucinda Brashares, Wilma Chandler, Nadine Amoss, Lynn Finberg, Carol Lindstadt, Evelyn Schlager, and Charlene Simons.
A few of us remembered to wear name tags at the meeting.
Minutes of February meeting: Nadine moved and Peg seconded and all approved of the February meeting Minutes.
Communications: Mere P. shared 4 thank you notes; 1 from The Living Room, 1 from CERES to Ruth Circle, 1 from F.I.S.H., and 1 from Women’s Recovery Services. These were passed to Lynn to display on bulletin board/s.
Mere P. also shared the latest Council on Aging’s Sonoma Senior Today newsletter.
Mere P. shared a postcard from National UMW advertising the 3rd Annual Day of Giving on 3/23/17 to donate to The Legacy Fund. This is part of the 5 year 150th Anniversary celebration.
Mere P. also passed out the March 2017 Response magazines to the circle leaders.
Treasurer’s Report: Peg had prepared copies of the financial report for February 2017 and handed these out and reviewed and explained the updates shown in the report:
- The Lunch, Dinner, Reception Income of $250 came in from the Guyon family as their donation for Ralph’s memorial service reception.
- The Member Pledges Income of $820 came in from individual pledges.
- The Miscel. Mission Income of $360 came in from Ruth Circle’s collection for their monthly special project.
TOTAL INCOME for February 2017 = $1,430.00
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $360 went to CAP of Sonoma County from Ruth Circle. This was divided equally between Sloan House & Harold’s Home.
TOTAL EXPENSE for February 2017 = $360.00
- The Total Assets at the end of February were $3,751.44. This includes $1,900 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Report was approved unanimously.
- Peg reports that “we are in good shape” and are ready to pay for any Spring Fling expenses.
- There was discussion about our donating to the Day of Giving’s Legacy Fund. Initially Jane moved & Nancy 2nd that we give $100 to this Fund. Then Jane amended & Judy 2nd that we increase the amount to $200. We voted and agreed on giving $200 to this Fund from our Miscel./Contingency Expense.
- Peg noted that in our 2017 Directory the 2017 Budget has an error: Please see near the bottom: the “Youth Campership Expense” should be $200 not $400.
- Peg asked about the “Fijian Mission Expense” of $500 and when we should pay this. Mere P. asked that we hold it for now and see what comes up over the year. As usual, it will probably be sent to Fiji. There was discussion about legal issues to do with immigration status that some of our members may face and our helping with legal fees. Diane shared information about VIDAS and how part of our church’s Easter offering will go to VIDAS and that VIDAS is a good resource for our Fijian community. In fact, there is an immigration attorney coming to talk to the Fijian community this weekend.
Old Business : Evaluation
• Getting to Know You Potluck Lunch - February 18, 12 noon - 2:00 pm. This potluck lunch was nicely attended and it seemed everyone had a very nice time. We want to continue with this next year.
• Prayer Workshop with Pastor Blake - Saturday, February 25th, 2:00 pm. This workshop was poorly attended, but was a very nice workshop and very well worth it. Those that attended really appreciated being there and appreciated Pastor Blake’s preparation.
• World Day of Prayer - Friday, March 3, 1:00 - 3:00 pm. This event was very nice and ~ 50 people attended. The women from Sebastopol Community Church want to host next year, 2018. Next year’s program will be written by the women of Suraname in South America.
• District Spiritual Retreat - Saturday, March 11th, in Vallejo - Mere Nabou attended.
• Tablecloths - Bride’s Closet - Diane reported that 15 new rectangle tablecloths have been purchased, paid for by the Memorial Fund. There are rumors that older tablecloths had been taken to get washed and that they still need to be returned.
New Business : Update
• Spring Fling - Saturday, April 29th, start at 11:30 am, Fields Fellowship Hall - Nancy reported that the planning committee met last week. The theme is: “Spring ~ Fling into Flowers”
- Lunch at $15 per ticket: The UMW will do this part and get these proceeds.
- Silent Auction: The Children’s Commission will do this part and get these proceeds.
- At 11:30 am: Hors d’oeuvres and browsing of the Silent Auction tables.
- At 12 noon: The lunch will start to be served.
- Dessert will be small finger desserts, like at a tea.
- Beverages will be tea, lemonade, and water.
- The tea cups & saucers will be borrowed for free and the Children’s Commission will wash them.
- The program will include a florist speaking about how to arrange flowers and about bug control.
- Flowers: Please ask Circles if anyone has small “fish bowl” vases for us to have. A box of flowers will be bought and these along with the vases will be used to create flower arrangements for table decorations. The plan is to auction off 6 of the arrangements and to sell the rest. Note: Holly Fisher is in charge of all things flowers.
- Anyone can help on Friday to create these flower arrangements. Meet from 3-5 pm.
- On Saturday morning meet at 9:30 am to decorate the tables. The tables will already be up. Each Circle needs to offer 1 or 2 people to help decorate.
- Elizabeth Walton is doing publicity, except for our bulletin boards which Lynn is to do.
- Diane has tickets and she passed them around for us to sell at our circle meetings.
- In April we will sell between services.
- Note: If one wants to buy a ticket but knows that she/he is not going to attend, then tell her/him to just make a donation and not take a ticket!
- Invite your friends! And do not wait to buy your tickets, as this might sell out!
• UMW Breakfast at Annual Conference - June 24th, in Belmont. (Next year, 2018, the Annual Conference will be held at UC Merced.)
• Luau - July 29th - Save the Date!
• President - Mere Ponijiasi - No additional report.
• Vice President/Program Chair - Nancy Messinger - No additional report.
• Treasurer - Peg Ferrel - No additional report.
• Membership/Nurture & Outreach - Nadine Amoss - Nadine reported that Diane has the new UMW brochure ready to be copied.
• Program Resources - Judy Finley - Judy reported that she will order new books, but wants insight into how to encourage more people to read more.
• Publicity - Lynn Finberg - Lynn reported that she has a few things and a few “Save the Date” notes to post on the bulletin boards. Lucinda passed her a page to post about the digital Response magazine.
• Spiritual Growth - Mere Nabou - Absent.
• Social Action/Concerns - Barbara Wofford - Barbara reported that she is going to Carson City this weekend for a social action event. There will be speakers and information about how to lobby. She will report next month.
• Mission Education/Interpretation - Lucinda Brashares - Lucinda read parts of the latest Response magazine, including the photo essay by Paul Jeffrey: Building Peace between Japan & Korea.
• Nomination Committee - Diane Jackson - Diane says volunteers are needed to sell Spring Fling tickets in April. The tickets will be in the UMW box in the office.
• Sunshine - Sofia Williams - Absent. Someone will take the Sunshine List to Sofia.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Judy showed us what she has for new tea towel transfers.
• Anna - Jane Hollar - In March Charlene will lead a program regarding Human Trafficking.
• Mary’s Friendship - Carol Lindstadt - They are continuing with their fellowship each month. They have small programs, but the women are all glad to gather.
• Naomi - Dian Jorgensen - Diane reported that in March they will have a program on Hymns.
• Ruth - Claudia Ward - Barbara reported that last night they shared books they had read. Someone is composing a list, she thinks.
• Fijian Language Ministry - R/T Litia Veisa/Laijipa Ratumuri - Mere P. reported that R/T Litia will be leading a retreat this coming Friday evening through Saturday.
• Charlene shared about talking with Harriett J. Olson (UMW General Secretary/CEO) and learning about her Aunt that lives at Spring Lake Village in Santa Rosa. Harriet’s Aunt’s name is Dorothea (Dottie) Rowden. Dorothea’s address is: SNF 309A. Please visit and say “hello.”
• FUMC is hosting the Nomadic Shelter this weekend, Friday evening through Saturday morning, at Montgomery Campus in the fellowship hall.
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am.
Next board meeting: April 11th, 2017, at 9:30 am.
Charlene Simons, Secretary