First United Methodist Church of Santa Rosa United Methodist Women
September 13th, 2016 - Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order at 9:35 am by Mere Ponijiasi with updates on our shut-ins and others. We all read the Purpose of UMW and Nancy Messinger gave a Prayer.
Members present: Mere Ponijiasi, Diane Jackson, Dian Jorgensen, Claudia Ward, Doris Guyon, Carol Lindstadt, Nancy Messinger, Nadine Amoss, Evelyn Schlager, Wilma Chandler, and Charlene Simons.
Minutes of June meeting: Claudia moved and Diane seconded and all approved. It was later noticed that the year at the top of the first page should read 2016, not 2015.
Communications: Mere P. passed out the July, August, & September 2016 Response magazines to the circle leaders, as well as shared a thank you note from F.I.S.H. Mere P. also shared the 2017 UMW Reading Program booklet, the UMW News, and the Council on Aging Sonoma Seniors Today July 2016 issue.
Treasurer’s Report: Peg had prepared the financial reports for June, July & August 2016, and gave them to Charlene. Charlene passed out copies of these financial reports and reviewed and explained the updates according to Peg’s notes:
- The Miscel. Mission Income of $225 came in from Ruth Circle for their special project this month.
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $225 went to Ruth Circle’s special project this month, the Good Shepherd Fund of FUMC.
- The Miscel./Contingency Expense of $104.95 went to pay the balance needed for the new dishwasher, as we voted to pay in June.
- The Total Assets at the end of June were $3,728.34. This includes $1,400 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Member Pledges Income of $50 came in from individual pledge/s.
- The Total Assets at the end of July were $3,778.34. This includes $1,400 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Fijian Event Income of $1,619 came in from the sale of tickets for the Luau.
- The Member Pledges Income was $300 for this month.
- The Conference Pledge Expense of $2,750 was the 2nd half of our annual pledge.
- The Fijian Event Expense of $100 went to pay for the Luva (pig.)
- The Gift in Memory Expense of $70 was given in honor of Evelyn Purtz & Jean Hart.
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $100 was given to the UMW’s Legacy Fund, as we voted to give last spring.
- The Total Assets at the end of August were $2,677.34. This includes $1,400 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Reports were approved unanimously.
- Charlene encouraged all the UMW women to continue to give toward their pledges.
• Update from the Fijian Event “Luau” - The July 30th event had good attendance. Selling tickets a head of time seemed to work well also. We want to sell tickets a head of time next year too. The flowers were all donated.
• Update about Mission U (in Visalia, San Rafael, & Roseville) - Diane and Mere N. went to the one in San Rafael and reported back. There were about 80 people there which was more than what was expected. Diane has offered to lead a circle program, especially on the topic of how as the earth is exploited, the poor are the most affected. Diane also offered to the UMW District leaders our church as a possible host for a 1 day Mission U in 2017. Diane also has the 3 books that she bought there and offered to loan them out.
• CA/NV UMW Leadership Training - Friday, Oct. 14th - here at FUMC Santa Rosa, from 2:45 - 7 pm. Diane reported that on this Friday about 60 people are expected. The Fijian women are planning on preparing something like a Luau for the dinner.
• Conference UMW Annual Celebration! - Saturday, October 15th - here at FUMC Santa Rosa, from 8 am - 3:30 pm. The committee to plan this event is: Claudia, Peg, Mere N., Mere P., Diane, Sandy, and Charlene. For this Saturday there are about 200 folk expected. Registration deadline is Monday, October 10th!
- We decided on serving a hot casserole with a pumpkin cake type of dessert. Diane will get the aluminum pans for the casserole. She has recipes. We will provide lemon ade, ice tea, & water. Food preparations will start the Friday morning. Diane passed around a sign-up sheet for us to sign up for times:
Friday, 9 am - 12 noon = food prep for Saturday’s lunch
Friday, 12 noon on = food prep by the Fijian women for Friday’s dinner
Saturday, 9 am- 12 noon = serve up & take food to tables
Saturday, 12 noon - 3 pm = clean up
- Diane proposed for us to use plastic table cloths to re-use throughout the event. Plastic cloths can be wiped off each time.
- Peg will make a table map for us with 8 seated per table.
- All of FUMC UMW will take responsibility for the Saturday morning coffee/tea/ refreshments.
- We, as the hosts, receive $10 from each of the $23 registration fees.
- The Rev. Cynthia Statemen will be the Saturday speaker.
- Baby sitting: We need to provide the sitter?
- We will need FUMC folk to help guide parking, since people will be coming from out of town and do not know where to park here.
- We will finalize details at our board meeting in October, on the 11th.
- Diane had a copy of the registration form and photocopies were made after the meeting for the circle leaders to take to their circles.
- Diane said that she already submitted information about this event to the Roseleaf.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Saturday, November 19th, from 9 am - 2 pm. Ruth Circle with Marty Wait in charge will do the traditional lunch of the baked potato. We will need more cookies for the Cookie Walk than we had last year. Please encourage our women to bake now & freeze and then bake some more!
• Vice President/Program Chair - Nancy Messinger - Nancy reports that she will start thinking about the Christmas Pot-luck which will be held on Tuesday, December 13th.
• Treasurer - Peg Ferrel - Absent.
• Membership/Nurture & Outreach - Nadine Amoss - No report.
• Program Resources - Bea Harris - Absent.
• Publicity - Judy Finley - Absent. Judy is updating the bulletin board as needed.
• Spiritual Growth - Sandy Winter - Absent.
• Social Action - Maurine Christ - Absent.
• Mission Education/Interpretation - Evelyn Schlager - Evelyn encourages us to read & share & use the Response publication with our Circles. From a summer ‘16 issue she called our attention to the articles about the UMC General Conference in Portland, OR.
• Nomination Committee - Diane Jackson - Diane asked us to think about women to be in leadership positions for the next year. For example, Bea Harris will be declining for next year and so will need a replacement. Diane led our discussion about who to nominate for our 2 Special Memberships for 2017. Diane collected our votes and will turn in the 2 winners’ names to the Conference UMW in Peg’s absence. The rest of us will find out the winners in January.
• Sunshine - Sofia Williams - Absent. Dian Jorgensen started the Sunshine List and will take it to Sofia.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Mere Nabou/Ponijiasi - No additional report.
• Anna - Doris Guyon & Wilma Chandler - In September they will meet in the Susanna Wesley House as usual.
• Mary’s Friendship - Carol Lindstadt - In September they will meet at the Stony Point campus as usual. Often they meet for just fellowship with each other.
• Naomi - Dian Jorgensen - In September they will meet in the FUMC Library and learn about all things to do with the library.
• Ruth - Claudia Ward - Last night Diane gave the program about her VIM team experience in Lake County. Next month they will have a speaker from Voices and meet in Sharon Robison’s home.
• Fijian Language Ministry - Luvu Tauyavu/Mere Nabou - They continue to meet, usually on Sundays. They are busy. Mere N. had a good experience attending the World Assembly in Houston, TX. There were about 46 countries represented there.
• The World Federation of Methodist and Uniting Church Women gathered in Houston, TX, for its 13th World Assembly August 29 - Sept. 4, 2016. United Methodist Women were there, including our own Mere Nabou!
• There was discussion that came up due to the new dishwasher in the kitchen in Field’s Fellowship Hall. The church office is planning an orientation again on how to use the dishwasher and the kitchen. Marty Wait is working on this. Mere P. brought up concern about how the kitchen is used by outside groups. Claudia will bring this up with the Trustees. It seems we need a list of responsibilities & expectations along with the booking list. Mere P. is willing to be the contact person when outside Fijian groups book the Fellowship Hall with the kitchen.
• The National UMW General Secretary, Harriett Jane Olson was in town and attended our church over the summer and stayed for lunch. She came to visit her Aunt in Santa Rosa. We did not know a head of time of her visit. The Secretary, Charlene, shall write a note to her asking her to let us know of her visits so that we can formally welcome her from the pulpit and introduce her. She is an important leader in the UMW and we would love to recognize her for that. Also, we can provide better hospitality to her if we know when she is here. Diane will send the UMW logo to Charlene to use in the letter.
Meeting adjourned at 11:37 am with a closing prayer from Evelyn.
Next regular board meeting: October 11th, 2016, at 9:30 am.
Charlene Simons, Secretary