First United Methodist Church of Santa Rosa United Methodist Women
November 8th, 2016 - Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order at about 9:30 am by Mere Ponijiasi with updates on our shut-ins and others. We all read the Purpose of UMW and Mere Nabou gave the devotion.
Members present: Mere Ponijiasi, Diane Jackson, Dian Jorgensen, Claudia Ward, Doris Guyon, Judy Finley, Peg Ferrel, Nancy Messinger, Nadine Amoss, Evelyn Schlager, Mere Nabou, and Charlene Simons.
Minutes of October meeting: Claudia moved and Nadine seconded and all approved of the October meeting Minutes.
Communications: Mere P. shared a thank you note from Florence Harner’s daughter and the family in response to Florence’s Memorial Service & Reception. The daughter also included a $250 check to UMW.
Mere P. then passed out the November 2016 Response magazines to the circle leaders.
Treasurer’s Report: Peg had prepared and passed out copies of the financial report for October 2016. Peg reviewed and explained the updates shown in the report:
- The Fijian Event Income of $100 came in belatedly from July’s Luau tickets sales.
- The Lunch, Dinner, Reception Income of $1,960 came in from 2 sources:
1) $1,710 came in from the Conference UMW Training and Annual Celebration that we hosted Oct. 14 & 15. This money was our income to cover the cost of hosting and feeding all the attendees.
2) $250 came in from Florence Harner’s family to cover our expenses for Florence’s Memorial Service Reception. Any extra was a donation to UMW.
- The Member Pledges Income of $235 came in from individual members.
- The Miscel. Mission Income of $575 came in from Ruth Circle’s collection for their monthly special projects: $315 in September, and $260 for October.
- The World Thank Offering Income of $12.78 came in from Mary’s Friendship Circle.
- The Lunch, Dinner, Reception Expense of $596.33 went to pay for the Conference UMW Training and Annual Celebration Lunch & Dinner that we put on.
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $575 went to Ruth Circle’s monthly special projects: $315 went to VIM, and $260 went to The Warming Hut.
- The School of Missions Expense of $40 went to pay for 1 registration to the August Mission U, for Diane Jackson.
- The Travel, Delegates, Seminars Expense of $46 went to pay for 2 registrations to the October UMW Conference Celebration, for Charlene Simons & Doris Lorenz.
- The Total Assets at the end of October were $4,322.79. This includes $1,400 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Report was approved unanimously.
- Peg noted that the profit of ~ $1,000 that we earned by hosting the Conference UMW Training and Celebration was anticipated and that we already donated that amount to the FUMC last spring towards the Budget shortfall.
- Peg also raised a concern that in the future our UMW might not be able to raise as much money as we currently do because of the seemingly lack of womanpower in the future. Meaning that we need more younger blood.
• Update of CA/NV UMW Leadership Training - Friday, October 14th - here at FUMC Santa Rosa, 2:45 - 9 pm. Diane reported that the Friday dinner went very well; all positive comments. The Fijian women wore their Fijian dress and sat and ate with the attendees.
• Update of Conference UMW Annual Celebration! - Saturday, October 15th - here at FUMC Santa Rosa, 8 am - 3:30 pm.
- Diane reported that although we expected ~ 60 women for the lunch, we served 104. Diane had planned a head for ~120, just in case. The paper goods cost ~ $100 and covered 3 events (Florence’s memorial reception, our Conference Celebration, & 1 other.) The pre-wrapped utensils were very handy. Several women asked for the recipes. Having the food at the table and not at a buffet was very much appreciated. Well done!
• Snowflake Bazaar - Saturday, November 19th, from 9 am - 2 pm. In Field’s Fellowship Hall.
- The tables will get set up on Thursday, by Peg & Mike Ferrel.
- Then on Friday we can all set out the cloths and items on the tables.
- For the lunch we will use the roll of tickets. Virginia Anderson will sit and sell the tickets at the event.
- We will pre-sell the Fijian take-out meals this Sunday.
- Peg will have the Square Reader available at event for credit card sales.
- The dishes will get washed after lunch, starting at ~1 pm. Peg will get a dishwasher.
- Mere P. had flyers of the event for us to take and post.
- White Elephant items: On Saturday, more help is needed with covering the shifts. Then on Sunday, Dian & Diane may need help on the stage selling the items. Perhaps as in the past helpers will appear. Note that the leftovers are to be left on the stage for the Fijian women to look through for Fiji, then we can donate the remaining things.
- Peg is still looking for help taking down the tables on Saturday after the event. Perhaps a few youth will be around to help.
- The banners are updated and waiting to be hung. They are in the office right now.
- Diane has sent out ~ 40 letters to different churches and our ad will be in the Press Democrat newspaper on Saturday, 11/12.
- There are 50 tea towels @ $10 each to sell. And there are 3 dozen jars of apricot jelly as well as more syrup to sell, per Judy.
- Note that the price of the Cookie Walk is going up to $6 per pound of cookies.
- We will need a table for plants, with a plastic table cover. Andrea is bringing plants.
- We could use more bags for customer use.
- Bulletin announcements need to go to Doug Albertson on/by the Monday before. Charlene will go to the office after this meeting to give a Bulletin blurb to Janin for Sunday about the pre-sale of tickets for the Fijian take-out meals. Judy has 60 tickets for this use.
• Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Christmas Potluck - Tuesday, December 13, at 12 noon, in Field’s Fellowship Hall.
- The schedule is all figured out and Diane brought a draft of the program to show us. This program will be on the tables at each place.
- The preschool children will sing, Doug A. will lead us in Christmas Carols and Jenny Jones will accompany us on the piano. Doug will also bring his songbooks.
- The food will be set-up on 3 tables in a horseshoe arrangement in the side room.
- Judy will pick up a thank you gift for Jenny Jones.
- Rusty will do the set-up sometime before our board meeting is over.
- Diane will do the beverages and Nancy will apprentice. We now have 3 nice cold drink dispensers.
• UMW 2017 Directory Updates - Diane passed out extra 2016 Directories for us to take to our circles to update our Circle’s information. She asked us to bring back the updated information to the December meeting if possible. Diane is eager to create the 2017 Directory.
• President - Mere Ponijiasi - Mere encouraged us to look into being part of small accountability groups, especially the ones starting with Advent. She also encouraged us to visit other circle meetings than our own.
• Vice President/Program Chair - Nancy Messinger - No additional report.
• Treasurer - Peg Ferrel - Budget meeting still to come.
• Membership/Nurture & Outreach - Nadine Amoss - No report.
• Program Resources - Bea Harris - Absent.
• Publicity - Judy Finley - Judy thanked those that helped her out with publicity.
• Spiritual Growth - Mere Nabou - Mere asked for prayers for moving forward.
• Social Action - Maurine Christ - Absent.
• Mission Education/Interpretation - Evelyn Schlager - Evelyn encourages us to read & share & use the Response publication with our Circles. She shared from the current Response: “No matter how small a church or group is, reach out, and be a part of something bigger.”
• Nomination Committee - Diane Jackson - Diane reported that most of the UMW Board is staying on. Changes for 2017 include: Lucinda Brashares will be the new Mission Ed./Interpretation Officer & Evelyn will be the Emeritus one. Mere Nabou is the new Spiritual Growth Officer. Judy Finely will be the new Program Resource Officer. New Officers for Social Action (possibly Barbara Wofford?) and Publicity are still needed.
• Sunshine - Sofia Williams - Absent. Dian Jorgensen will take the Sunshine List to Sofia.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Mere Nabou/Ponijiasi - No additional report.
• Anna - Doris Guyon - In November Marsha Dupre is leading the program. In December they will meet only at the AGM & Christmas Potluck. Jane Hollar is considering taking over for Doris as Anna Circle Chairperson.
• Mary’s Friendship - Peg Ferrel - In December they will meet on the 1st Tuesday. In January they will meet, but not have formal programs.
• Naomi - Dian Jorgensen - In November Judy will lead a sharing of books. In December Charles Rhodes will lead a program about storytelling (?).
• Ruth - Claudia Ward - In December they will meet at Pat Sanborn’s home; Paul O’Rear & Richard Peterson-Jones will talk about the Task Force for Homelessness. Through January they are meeting in the evening.
• Fijian Language Ministry - Luvu Tauyavu/Mere Nabou - They continue to meet, usually on Sundays, and they are going strong.
Other Business: 2017 Program & Budget Meeting:
Following this Board meeting we discussed the Program & Budget for 2017.
• First we discussed information & dates for the 2017 Program, led by Diane:
- Feb. 18, 2017 = Getting to Know You potluck.
- March 3, 2017 = World Day of Prayer. Our Spiritual Growth Officer will need to confer with Phyllis of Bethlehem Lutheran Church & ask if they want to host.
- April 29, 2017 = Spring Fling. Nancy will coordinate a committee for this.
- In the past there has been a Prayer Workshop. Perhaps it is time to do this again. It usually takes place in early spring or perhaps we can look at Jan. 22. The Nat’l UMC calendar shows Jan. 18-25, 2017, as the Week of Prayer & Unity.
- January 28, 2017 - A District UMW meeting.
• Then we discussed money & missions for the 2017 Budget, led by Peg:
- Currently we have ~ $3,000 to carry over to 2017. We still have the incoming money from the Snowflake Bazaar to go toward 2017 also. Thus we are in good shape.
- In the summer we already pledged $5,500 to the Conference UMW, plus $200 to Gum Moon, plus $300 to Mary Elizabeth Inn, for a total of $6,000 pledged.
- In looking at the Local Missions: the Children’s Village is gone; therefore, we will not be paying this $200 out any more.
- We all voted to keep the budget the same as for 2016, except for the $200 to the Children’s Village.
- It was noted that if each of the 114 or so women donated $100 then we would have enough for our budget.
- We need a special advertisement: “This is what your $ is spent on!”
Meeting adjourned by 12:45 pm.
Next regular board meeting: December 13th, 2016, at 9:00 am.
Charlene Simons, Secretary