United Methodist Women
February 14th, 2017 - Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order at about 9:35 am by Mere Ponijiasi with updates on our shut-ins and others. We all read the Purpose of UMW and Litia gave a prayer and devotion.
Members present: Mere Ponijiasi, Litia Veisa, Diane Jackson, Dian Jorgensen, Barbara Wofford, Jane Hollar, Judy Finley, Nancy Messinger, Lucinda Brashares, Wilma Chandler, Mere Nabou, Lynn Finberg, Evelyn Schlager, and Charlene Simons.
Welcome to our new board member: Lynn Finberg, returning from many years ago!
Due to so many new board members for 2017 and for Litia’s & Lynn’s benefit, Mere P. proposed that we wear name tags at our meeting next month. We agreed.
Minutes of January meeting: Diane moved and Jane seconded and all approved of the January meeting Minutes with the correction to the spelling of Laijipa Ratumuri’s last name on pg 4.
Communications: Mere P. shared 2 thank you notes; 1 from FUMC Preschool and 1 from the Guyon family. The Guyon’s included a check for $250. Charlene will get the check to Peg Ferrel.
Mere P. also shared the latest Sonoma Senior Today newspaper and the latest UMW News, winter 2017 issue.
Mere P. had 2 copies of the Call to Prayer & Self Denial program. One for Jane & 1 for Evelyn.
Mere P. then passed out the February 2017 Response magazines to the circle leaders.
Treasurer’s Report: Peg had prepared copies of the financial report for January 2017. Charlene handed these out and reviewed and explained the updates shown in the report per Peg’s notes:
- The Member Pledges Income of $1,200 came in from individual pledges.
- The Miscel. Mission Income of $445 came in from Ruth Circle’s collection for their monthly special project.
- The World Thank Offering/Call to Prayer Income of $35.30 came in from Naomi Circle.
TOTAL INCOME for January 2017 = $1,680.30
- The Assembly Fund Expense of $500 was transferred to long term liabilities. There is now $1,900 saved away in this long term liabilities for Assembly 2018.
- The Church Pledge Expense of $600 was paid to our FUMC.
- The Good Shepherd Fund Expense of $1,000 was paid to our FUMC.
- Our 2017 Conference UMW Pledges were paid per our budget to the District UMW. These are: 1) $3,500 of our $5,500 Conference Pledge; 2) $200 for Gum Moon; 3) $300 for Mary Elizabeth Inn; and 4) $200 for Bright Future Child Youth (Natl)
- The Gift to Mission Expense of $50 was paid to the District UMW.
- The World Thank Offering Expense for 2016 of $54.51 was paid to the District UMW.
- The Call to Prayer & Self Denial Expense for 2015 & 2016 of $342.50 was paid to the District UMW.
- Peg noted that she wrote 1 check to the District UMW to cover all 7 of the Expenses. The District will distribute accordingly.
- Peg also noted that in her Financial Report, the World Thank Offering and the Call to Prayer & Self Denial are shown on 1 line together, not on 2 separate lines.
- All of our 8 Local Missions for the year were paid per our budget for a total of $1,700.
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $445 went to the CERES Community Project from Ruth Circle.
- The Miscel./Contingency Expense of $75.76 paid for new checks & deposit slip books.
- The Postage, Publicity Expense of $47.00 paid for more postage for mailing the Sunshine cards & for UMW administration.
- The Sunshine & Gifts Expense of $27 went toward the gift certificate that we gave to Jenny Jones as our thank you to her for playing the piano at our December Meeting & Potluck.
- The Travel, Delegates, Seminars Expense of $90.00 paid for 6 women to attend the UMW District Training event in January. The 6 were: Litia Veisa, Rosa Ratu, Senikau Momoka, Licia Banuve, Laijipa Ratumuri, & Barbara Wofford.
- The Youth Camperships Expense of $200 was paid to FUMC/Youth/Jacob Wilbur.
TOTAL EXPENSE for January 2017 = $9,331.77
- The Total Assets at the end of January were $2,681.44. This includes $1,900 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Report was approved unanimously.
Old Business : Evaluation
• Installation of Officers - Sunday, January 15th - Went well; board representatives were at all services on Sunday and this year the FLM service was included, especially since Mere Nabou received our Special Membership recognition and pin. Elizabeth Walton was the other recipient of our Special Membership recognition and pin.
- It was suggested that the UMW Officer Installation take place at the FLM service in the future during the usual FLM big installation service in early January. Litia will think about how we should do this for January 2018 and will let us know.
• Bridges District Leadership Training “Meet and Greet” Day - Saturday, January 28, at Novato UMC - Barbara reported that she appreciated talking with other women in the district with her same officer role. Mere N. reported that she was honored to introduce Litia Veisa. There was a good turn out and more than just officers went.
New Business : Update
• Getting to Know You Potluck Lunch - February 18, 12 noon - 2:00 pm, in the McMullin Room - Food, socializing, and no program. Mere P. & Mere N. volunteered to set up the 6 tables and the coffee, tea, and water.
• Prayer Workshop with Pastor Blake - Saturday, February 25th, 2:00 pm in Fields Fellowship Hall - Mere N. is working with Pastor Blake on this. This workshop was advertised on the screen last Sunday and will again this coming Sunday and will be in this coming bulletin.
• World Day of Prayer - Friday, March 3, 1:00 - 3:00 pm, here in Sanctuary & McMullin Room - This year’s program was written by women in the Philippines. Mere N. reported that the committee met and the planning is coming along. Penny Hunt will lead the music and solo. Litia has talked with Pastor Lindsey about sharing about her trip to the Philippines on the Bishop’s Task Force. The following women signed up to bring goodies for refreshment: Nancy, Lynn, Jane, & Barbara. Others are welcome to bring goodies too.
• District Spiritual Retreat - Saturday, March 11th, Wayside UMC, Vallejo - Register ahead and on-line. If interested, contact Mere Nabou.
• Tablecloths - Bride’s Closet - Diane reported on the loss of so many tablecloths! The FUMC owns the things in the Bride’s Closet and the UMW is the caretaker of these items. Over the past few years many tablecloths, rectangular and round, have not been returned! Where are they?! Please ask at the Circle meetings if women have taken them home to wash and forgot about them. Please check laundry baskets. Diane will get notices out about the lost tablecloths.
• Spring Fling - Saturday, April 29th, start at 11:30 am, Fields Fellowship Hall - Nancy reported that the UMW’s Spring Fling is combining with the Children’s Commission for this event.
- The theme is to do with flowers: “Spring ~ Fling into Flowers”
- Lunch at $15 per ticket: The UMW will do this part and get these proceeds.
- Silent Auction: The Children’s Commission will do this part and get these proceeds.
- At 11:30 am: Hors d’oeuvres and browsing of the Silent Auction. Probably both groups will contribute towards the hors d’oeuvres. The lunch will start to be served at 12 noon.
- Probably have a speaker to share about flowers and flower arranging.
- Marty Wait and Barbara Kelley are working on the menu.
- We are hoping that more people of all ages attend.
- The planning committee will meet again on Friday, March 10th at 9:30 am, and they welcome others, especially any of the FLM women, to join the committee.
- Judy will get out a “Save the Date” notice.
- We acknowledged that there is a conflict with the quarterly meeting of the Conference Fijian Language Ministry churches that day and that people will have to choose which to attend.
• President - Mere Ponijiasi - No additional report.
• Vice President/Program Chair - Nancy Messinger - No additional report.
• Treasurer - Peg Ferrel - Absent.
• Membership/Nurture & Outreach - Nadine Amoss - Absent.
• Program Resources - Judy Finley - Judy reported that she is looking at new books and will be buying some. She has the new Book Program Catalog. She reminded us of the Conference UMW Reading Program and for us to read!
• Publicity - Lynn Finberg - New to the Board!
• Spiritual Growth - Mere Nabou - No additional report.
• Social Action/Concerns - Barbara Wofford - Barbara reported that she attended the showing of The Long Night movie at the Finley Center. She appreciated that there were many of our city leaders there. She says there is a social action meeting in Carson City coming up about how to lobby.
• Mission Education/Interpretation - Lucinda Brashares - Lucinda reported on the 2017 UMW Prayer Calendar: Daily scripture, daily witness, UMW Missionary birthdays, photos/artwork, daily prayers for a project, and more. Judy will order 1 for the library to be available to check out & borrow or photocopy. If you are interested in having one for yourself, tell Mere N. & give her your phone number too. They cost $14 each.
• Nomination Committee - Diane Jackson - Happily reported that we have a full board.
• Sunshine - Sofia Williams - Absent. Dian Jorgensen will take the Sunshine List to Sofia.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Judy said that 50 tea towels are done! She needs more patterns & is interested in new & different ones. Each pattern is only good for 3 uses.
• Anna - Jane Hollar - In January they held their Pledge Service and had Jennielynn Holmes from Catholic Charities come and give updates about homeless services in Santa Rosa. In February Lucinda will give a program about icons.
• Mary’s Friendship - Carol Lindstadt - They are continuing with their fellowship each month.
• Naomi - Dian Jorgensen - In February Diane Jackson will give a program on “Climate Justice” from what she learned at University U.
• Ruth - Claudia Ward - Nancy reported that last night they met at Barbara O’Rear’s home and Maryanne McBride spoke about all the services provided by the Council on Aging.
• Fijian Language Ministry - R/T Litia Veisa/Laijipa Ratumuri - Litia reported that they continue to meet monthly at the end of each month. They will hold prayer & fasting each Wednesday from 6 am - 6 pm, same as in Fiji. Litia also reported that in March they will have a Lent Bible study and have a few other things planned for March too.
• The next UMW Assembly will be held in Columbus, Ohio, May 18-20, 2018. We noted that registration for this will start later this year in about November 2017.
• Fijian language notes: R/T refers to Radini Tala Tala which means “the wife of our pastor.”
Meeting adjourned at 12:00 noon with a closing prayer by Lucinda.
Next board meeting: March 14th, 2017, at 9:30 am.
Charlene Simons, Secretary