First United Methodist Church of Santa Rosa United Methodist Women
December 13th, 2016 - Executive Board Meeting
Meeting called to order at 9:15 am by Mere Ponijiasi with updates on our shut-ins and others. We all read the Purpose of UMW and recited the Lord’s Prayer.
Members present: Mere Ponijiasi, Diane Jackson, Dian Jorgensen, Peg Ferrel, Nancy Messinger, Nadine Amoss, Carol Lindstadt, Evelyn Schlager, Jane Hollar, and Charlene Simons.
Minutes of November meeting: Diane moved and Carol seconded and all approved of the November meeting Minutes with the following correction: On page 4, Ruth Circle met at Pat Sanborn’s home in November, not December.
Communications: Mere P. shared a brochure from the Mary Elizabeth Inn, and shared the Sonoma Seniors Today newsletter.
Mere P. then passed out the December 2016 Response magazines to the circle leaders.
Treasurer’s Report: Peg had prepared and passed out copies of the financial report for November 2016. Peg reviewed and explained the updates shown in the report:
- The Member Pledges Income of $500 came in.
- The Miscel. Mission Income of $315 came in from Ruth Circle’s collection for their monthly special projects: $10 additional for October, and $305 for November.
- The Snowflake Bazaar Income of $4,724.57 came in from sales at our Bazaar.
- The Gift in Memory Expense of $10 was due to a recording error back in August. This $10 corrects the mistake. We usually give $35 per gift and this year we gave $40 each in memory of Jean Hart & Evelyn Purtz. The check was written for $80, but had been recorded as only $70.
- The Local Missions Expense of $200 for the Children’s Village was returned to our account because our check was never sent after all. We had been waiting for the Children’s Village to continue with a new address, but it did not happen.
- The Miscel. Mission Expense of $315 went to Ruth Circle’s monthly special projects: $305 went to VOICES, and $10 went to The Warming Hut.
- The Snowflake Bazaar Expenses of $260 went to pay: Jerald $50 for cleaning the dishes; 3 youth $60 total (Nathan & Michelle Simons & Lauren Anderson $20 each) for cleaning up & putting tables away; as well as $100 for the Fijian take- out meals, and $50 for the Fijian treasures.
- The Total Assets at the end of November were $9,477.36. This includes $1,400 that is set aside for Assembly.
- The Report was approved unanimously.
• Update of Snowflake Bazaar - Saturday, November 19th, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. We held a very successful bazaar in spite of the rain. We had plenty of cookies this year and a lot of really nice stuff.
- Peg estimates that we made $4,216 profit from our Bazaar. Very nice!
- Peg explained the break-down of the $4,724.57 in Bazaar Income: • Center Table worked by Anna Circle = $1,035 • Gwen Neary’s glass sales = $175 • Paula Peterson’s sales = $75 • Stacey Darlington’s creche & jewelry sales = $81.42 • White Elephant items = $873 • Lunch & Pie & Coffee = $829 • Fijian Take-out meals = $250 • Fijian Treasures = $112 • Naomi Circle’s Jams & Breads = $663 • Cookie Walk = $511 • Sunday sales = $330
- The Choir and the Preschool reported very good sales too.
- Total Expenses were about $734 when figuring in December’s receipts.
• Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Christmas Potluck - Today! Tuesday, December 13, at 12 noon, in Field’s Fellowship Hall.
- The proposed 2017 Budget and the list of the 2017 Officers are all printed up and ready for approval by the membership at today’s General Meeting during the Christmas Luncheon. A nice “Home for the Holidays” typed up program with the Purpose of the UMW & summaries of the 5 Circles are all ready too. Diane has prepared these.
• A Quick Date Check for 2017 - Diane has already gone on to the church calendar and entered our 2017 UMW event dates, as well as any needed set-up dates. We noted that follow-up with Mary Brunet in the office will be needed to confirm the dates.
- Diane will check-in with Pastor Blake about when we will hold our Officer Installation. It is usually held on the 2nd or 3rd Sunday in January. She will get back to us. (Update: Diane notified us that the Officer Installation will be held on January 15th, 2017.)
- The Spring Fling 2017 is tentatively scheduled for April 29th. Nancy will verify this date with Mary B.
• UMW 2017 Directory Updates - Diane reminded us that she would love the updated directory information by the end of December if possible.
• President - Mere Ponijiasi - No additional report.
• Vice President/Program Chair - Nancy Messinger - No additional report.
• Treasurer - Peg Ferrel - No additional report.
• Membership/Nurture & Outreach - Nadine Amoss - Nadine reported that she does not have any new changes from the circles about the Directory yet.
• Program Resources - Transitioning to Judy Finley - Absent.
• Publicity - Still to be determined for 2017.
• Spiritual Growth - Mere Nabou - Absent.
• Social Action - Transitioning to Barbara Wofford in 2017.
• Mission Education/Interpretation - Transitioning to Lucinda Brashares.
• Nomination Committee - Diane Jackson - Diane reminded us that the Spring Fling still needs a chairperson; Nancy just calls the meeting; she does not necessarily lead it.
• Sunshine - Sofia Williams - Absent. Dian Jorgensen will take the Sunshine List to Sofia.
• Snowflake Bazaar - Chairpersons will be Diane Jackson & Peg Ferrel in 2017.
• Anna - Jane Hollar - For December they will meet today at the AGM & Christmas Potluck. In January Jennilyn Holms from Catholic Charities will talk about their latest programs.
• Mary’s Friendship - Carol Lindstadt - Peg reported that for December they will meet today at the AGM & Christmas Potluck. In 2017 they will continue to meet monthly in fellowship with very small programs.
• Naomi - Dian Jorgensen - In December they will have a celebratory brunch & Charles Rhodes will share Christmas stories. In January they will hold their Pledge Service.
• Ruth - Claudia Ward - Last night they met at Donna Fay Stout’s home for their annual Cookie Exchange. Pat Sanborn will deliver their boxed cookies to shut-ins.
• Fijian Language Ministry - Luvu Tauyavu - Mere P. reported that the new Associate Pastor from Fiji is arriving on this coming Thursday, 12/15/2016. So they are busy preparing for his & his wife Litia’s arrival. Rev. Sekove Veisa & Litia will first stay in Florence Harner’s home, then move to a rental house owned by Paul O’Rear and his wife. The traditional Fijian Welcome will be this Saturday 12/17/2016 from 1 - 6 pm here.
• Diane will work on recording the short UMW Pledge Service videos that are available on-line and creating some printed material for us to use in January with our circles.
• Since the Snowflake Bazaar has always been held the Saturday before Thanksgiving, it will be held on November 18th in 2017 and on November 17th in 2018. Charlene will thus schedule the annual FUMC Women’s Retreat accordingly as to not interfere with the bazaar and to not interfere with our All Saints’ Day observation on the first Sunday in November.
Meeting adjourned by 10:45 am.
Next board meeting: January 10th, 2017, at 9:30 am.
Charlene Simons, Secretary