Homeless Ministries Task Force Wednesday August 31st
Present: Bob, Shirley, Doug, John, Bill, Jennifer, Norm, Mary
Start 1:35 End 4:05pm
R.L. Stevens School - Doug, Blake and Lindsey
- Principal stated appearance is very important, uniform tents, yurts?
- She wants to do good by community
- Tom and Jennielynn could be invited to do presentation to school families, along with Task Force
Conversation followed on types of shelter.
- Bob and Shirley attended meeting at the Palms and were part of a mini sample of what the talks would be. They are looking for locations to host Homeless Talk across the county. Ideas?
Jim Leddy. Bob and Shirley.
- Talk to Camp Michela needed. Some in camp not willing to partner with Catholic Charities and refuse HOST. Some want to ‘do their own thing.’
Cynthia Stebbins-Homeless advocate . Shirley
Points of interest:
- Word 'shelter' might be used, not transitional housing which means some rent paid (like the Giffen Women’s House
- 6 months limit- motivates folks to access all services
- Tents not necessarily the best idea
- Consider curfew and quiet hours
- Catholic Charities intake- Coordinated Intake is the future plan when funding starts in January.
- Sign in/out
- Residential volunteer - day and at night (given extra month stay) for extra security
- 2 weekly meetings - general rules/ chores etc. then wellness meeting- perhaps speakers, or looking at a specific book etc.
- Security and rules- all community needs to report any infractions and look out for each other.
- ' coming in wet' smell alcohol or behavior issues. Orinda Center for detox
- There are shelter hoppers.
H.U.T.S. (Harold’s Utilitarian Transitional Shelter)
- Alternative to tents, collaboration with local designer Harold Wallin and AmeriCorps.
- AmeriCorps raising money for 10 units at $600.
- Handout . No cost to us
- Lockable, storage and bed space
- Vision of small community of 8- 10
- Movable with 2 people.
- Visible- no shame, no hidden homeless
- Some of us will visit this week.
- sole responsibility of Catholic Charities, no favorites, or jumping to the front of the list.
- approved by Trustees to be monthly, starts in October , every 3rd Friday. Communities of Faith will help with meals. Peg has agreed to coordinate monthly cooking. Outreach and Service will communicate with Peg.
Report from Details group/ MOU group.
- Richard to be contacted. Has CHAP paperwork been sent to Jennielynn? Include transitional single page proposal. M.O.U. where are we that?
Possible sub Groups
- Visual appearance
- Details group
Engaging our Congregation
- Remember outspoken individuals need to be heard, but do not reflect the face of FUMC
- Review and discussion
11th Sack Lunch Sunday
- Need to let speakers know what to cover.
- Tom Schwedhelm (testimony from police to city council, how city will work/ support with us and Jennielynn (changing the view of homelessness and C.C. overseeing/ supporting our project)
- Start with Slide Show. No additional comments or questions.
- FUMC providing - heavy snacks after services
- HMTF will provide extra sack lunch.
- Publicity: Postcards? Email blast? Yes
- No tables, curved chairs. Rusty
Pre- school letter - discussion. Will send response, before presenting at the preschool board.