Sunday 14th August FUMC Homeless Ministries Task Force Sack Lunch Gathering
27 present plus\task force members
Slide Show Presentation- Norm Hardin
City and County Questions
- Emergency Ordinance will probably loosen up requirements. To be renewed every 30 days
- What about other legal counsel? MOU Richard advising
- CHAP revision needs to include tent or other dwellings. Task force members to attend meetings this week.
- Why FUMC property and not city property? Comes down to our faith. Much support for those in need. Shows an outpouring of love.
Nuts and Bolts questions
- Well or city water? city
- Cost of water?FUMC
- Cooking? Approval of fire dept.
- Electricity- for cell phones? Available on site
- Winter conditions - mud/gravel /possible use of wooden pallets/concrete pad/locate on highest ground.
- RV's Trailers not for us
- 20 seems like a good number.- city may define
- Adults only
- Diane stated that her conversation with Jennielynn at a recent workshop- stressed support services will be in place.
- Lighting-LED lighting
To be determined
- Supervision - paid or volunteer?
- Where do people eat? Backpacking skills needed.
- .When will it be ready for FUMC approval.
- Why doesn’t the city and county step up.
- Myths about homelessness- need to educate everybody - bring people to understand.
- How do we keep squatters away?
- Neighbors- input welcome, will be meeting with neighbors.
- Talking about housing for just 1%? Is it worth it?
- Are women safer in fenced in area?
- Do we have an example of a similar camp?
- FISH looking for property. FISH board had a misconception of Homelessness.
- Church of Incarnation in support.
- Nomadic Shelter folks looked just like us
- A superhonorable idea.
- I am willing to speak as a homeless person.
- Camp Michela may have to move again as the county is asking them to get off the propertyJim Leddy is supervising Camp Michela.
- We made 20 people homeless when we bought the Stony Point land.