The Metamorphosis of the Sanctuary Facade
1952 1957 1960
In 1951 when the sanctuary was completed, the columns were very prominent, and the church slogan on the official letterhead was: “The Church with Columns.” The cross on top was wishful thinking as photographs show just a plain roof. In 1957 church expansion included the steeple and cross, a memorial to Pershing Liddle, a long-time Trustee and member of the Building Committee. Also the gable had been enclosed, reducing the visual effect of the columns.
By 1960, short concrete block walls with trees behind them had been added to both sides of the entrance and a signboard placed in the middle of the walkway. By 2005 the trees had grown far too big, breaking and uplifting the walkway. For safety and to create a more open, welcoming feeling, the trees, walls and signboard were removed, being replaced by a trellis covered with climbing roses and a new concrete surface was poured. Later the name was added to the building.